Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Quilts and Camping

We will be camping for Easter. Not what I usually do for holidays but DH said he will hide Easter eggs for me if it will make me feel better. Since we got rid of our big old trailer and the site isn't ready for a new one yet we will be using the old tent trailer. DH is range master for the archery club so he will be busy all day and I will be sewing all day. I take one of my old hand crank machines with me and keep busy as long as there is daylight, and sometimes by Coleman lamp after dark. I usually get at least one full size quilt top done a year while camping.

This is the machine I take most often. It's a Jones CB, made in England probably in the early 30s. It is a dream to sew with; smooth running, perfect stitch, and always dependable. It will still be working when all of our computerized plastic marvels will be long gone. Don't tell my lovely Bernina I said that…







Some camping quilts from previous years:






































 Double Irish Chain made for my oldest Daughter.  She doesn't get the cat. I cut out all the little pieces and sewed them all together before I realized it could be strip pieced. Oh well -- maybe next time.


Log Cabin. The only hard part about camp quilting is not having electricity for an iron. I have, in the past, used a flat iron heated on the propane stove but anymore I just finger press and wait until I get home to use the iron.


Postage Stamp was made with 2 shoe boxes full of 1/12 inch squares cut from scraps. It went together faster than I thought it would.

When the top is all together I bring it home and quilt it on my Bernina. I've quilted several full size quilts on a treadle before but I don't think I want to try it with a hand crank!



No comments:

Post a Comment